Friday, June 27, 2008

Losing my patients

I've been feeling poorly in a funny kind of way recently. Couldn't tell you that I had a pain or fever or weakness, only that something funny is going on. I've been spending a lot of my time staring at a computer screen at numbers and figures and names and lists and not speaking to people until the sun sets each evening. Last week when things were at their worst I wandered on to a hospital ward. It's something I'm allowed to do, honest. I just felt useless. I introduced myself to a nurse that I've met at least ten or so times as one of the (many) medical students. I asked if there was anything to be done. I was soon contracted to put in a cannula and help with the meals, which I did gladly. I don't know why but I need people, but not just that, patients. I need a uniform and a job and a time when I have to get up and don't want to. Things got much better after this. The gentleman I was helping to eat was greatful, he nodded his head to reveal a head of matted grey hair and said thank you. He probably didn't know that I had benefited as much as he. That's not wrong is it?

After that I admitted plenty of things to myself and felt much better.

I think there needs to be some more pictures around here.

1 comment:

The Non Stop Shoebox said...

Nothing wrong with helping other people, well done, but don't forget to let other people help you.
And walks, get plenty of daylight and go for a walk when you can.
There, that's you sorted.